Falling and flying objects can create serious hazards within the workplace, and may lead to severe accidents and injuries.
Many of these accidents occur when employees are haphazardly performing routine maintenance or not wearing proper personal protective equipment (PPE). Nevertheless, following these safety tips can help make the work environment safer, protecting you and your co-workers from injuries.
To avoid accidents from falling and flying objects:
- Stack and organize workplace materials properly to prevent them from unintentionally falling over, sliding down or collapsing.
- Do not work under cranes, ladders or any other heavy equipment or machinery while it is in use. When these items are not in use, be sure they are properly turned off (if applicable) and securely stored away before starting your work.
- Always wear proper PPE for the task at hand—such as hard hats, safety goggles and face shields.
- Regularly inspect workplace machinery and tools—such as crane and hoist wire ropes, chains and lifting hooks—to ensure they are working properly and won’t lead to potential accidents.
- Utilize a helper or spotter when operating a crane or ladder. Doing so can give you an extra set of eyes and assistance in the event that an object falls.
- Wear a high-visibility vest or other brightly colored clothing to help surrounding workers easily notice you from any location and keep yourself out of harm’s way.
Reviewing these tips can help employees like you prevent potential workplace injuries involving falling and flying objects. Reach out to your supervisor if you have any further questions on this topic.
For additional industry-specific guidance, contact us today.
© 2021 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.